Hiring a personal injury lawyer is a costly endeavor, so you want to make sure you have the right lawyer for the job. Making sure that you and the lawyer you choose are on the same page in all respects is a great place to start.
Here are some of the questions you should ask your Atlanta Personal Injury lawyer before you get started on your case.
10 Questions for Your Personal Injury Lawyer
- What do you need from me?It is important to know your role in your lawsuit. You must know everything that is expected of you for the case to run smoothly. This may include medical records, proof of pain or suffering, and figures of how much work you have missed due to your injuries. This refers to records, but also your participation and cooperation.
- What is your fee?Most lawyers take a cut of the settlement you receive if your case is won. Make sure that you know how much your lawyer is going to take if you win your case. Generally, 40% is a good figure to start at for a high-quality personal injury lawyer.
- What if we lose?There are a host of attorneys that will not charge you at all if you lose your case. This means that you only must pay if you win, and even then, you only need to pay out of your settlement. However, if you lose, you may have to pay other fees related to your case, including filing and convenience fees. Make sure that you work this out beforehand with your attorney.
- How experienced are you? Though it may seem intrusive at first, it is extremely important to know how experienced your lawyer is. You should angle your question towards personal injury specifically. It does not help you to have an experienced premises lawyer dealing with your personal injury case, for example.
- Is my case viable?An experienced lawyer should know what does and does not work when it comes to personal injury cases. After reviewing your case, they should know if it is worth pursuing or not. This is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.
- How long will it take to resolve my case? This is an important question, but it is one that often gets overlooked. You should know approximately how long these things take, and your lawyer should be upfront about how long the case will be and what you are in for.
- Will my case go to trial?While some lawyers try to settle out of court, it rarely works. A good lawyer will know if your case has the potential to go to trial and should take the time to caution you about it accordingly. You can also ask when the case will go to trial, as your lawyer will have some idea.
- How much time can you devote to my case?Lawyers are busy, and many of them are working on several cases at the same time. You want to make sure you are hiring a lawyer that can devote the proper time to your case and learn how best to help you.
- What is my case worth?While your settlement may vary depending on a host of factors, your lawyer should have a fairly good idea of what you are in for. They should be able to give you a rough estimate of the settlement you stand to win if the case goes your way.
- Have you tried similar cases before?An experienced lawyer has probably seen just about anything, but it is still a good idea to ask. If the lawyer has dealt with similar cases before, what were the outcomes? This can tell you if your lawyer has experienced handling your specific cases or not.
Getting to know your Atlanta personal injury lawyer is a great way to start your case off right. Make sure that you are asking all the right questions from the beginning with these questions (and questions you might think of because of this list as well).