When looking for a new furry friend to join the family, it’s important to consider what kind of temperament your future pet will have. While dog’s temperaments are largely dependent on their owners and how they’re trained, some breeds of dogs are known to be ‘chiller’ than others.
Of course, like humans, every dog is different and responds to the world around them differently. However, if you’re looking for a more chilled-out pet, there are some breeds you might want to consider over others.
The Calmest Dog Breeds
According to the American Kennel Club (AKC) Temperament Guide, these breeds are among the calmest breeds of dogs.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are notorious for their gentleness, so much so that they are often used as emotional support or therapy dogs. They also do well with children.
Basset Hounds are among the most chill breeds out there – one of their favorite pastimes is napping. However, their lazy nature makes them more difficult to train.
Clumber Spaniels are great family dogs as they are reliable and affectionate. They are also known for their exceptional hunting skills and are very easy to train.
You can never go wrong with a French Bulldog. It is among the most popular dog breeds. Not only are they cute and friendly, but also do well with other dogs and don’t bark that much.
Though big, these dogs are gentle giants. Saint Bernards have a rapport of being reliable and helpful, and do great with children. They are also extremely easy to train.
Tips for Training
No matter how calm your pup is, there is no doubt that it will need some training. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.
- Learn your dog’s body language
- Your dog will repeat behavior you reinforce, bad or good.
- Give your dog treats immediately after good behavior.
- Make sure your dog is getting enough food and exercise. A bored, hangry, dog is never happy!
- If you adopted a puppy, prepare the household (puppy pads, gates, crates)
- If you need external help training your dog, we recommend the BarxBuddy Dog Training Device. This dog training device is great for taming uncontrollable barking and bad behavior in a safe manner.
- Consider your dog’s limitations – dogs can get exhausted too.
Curious how the BarxBuddy dog training device works? Check this out!
BarxBuddy is a pet product company that focuses on innovative technology in order to make caring for your pet easy and enjoyable. With pet owners in mind, BarxBuddy designs products to improve both theirs and their pet’s lives.